Laura 52/365
Mom will you
put black things
not now tak
your rest
put black things
on stove.
Or with a bit of editing how it migh read: Mom will you put the black things
- not right now chill out for a bit - then put the black things on the
stove.
He speaks better than he writes, but he gets his point across.
Sam unloaded the dishwasher for me and I had put the burner covers for our
gas stove in the dishwasher. He wasn't sure how to put them back on the
stove correctly so he left me a note asking me to do it. In the middle he
was kind of saying: "Hey mom you don't have to do it right this second, you
can relax for a bit, but then put them on the stove." He knows that
sometimes when I get home from work I am exhausted and I need a few minutes
to de-stress before I jump into the dinner prep and so he was letting me
know he recognizes that. I love that kid.
7 comments:
I'm so glad you shared that...how sweet! My daughter used to wait to tell me about her day until I'd been home for about an hour, b/c she knew I needed time to just decompress after work. I was always so grateful for her patience and this post makes me want to tell her that.
How very sweet. What a great young man you have there :-)
how great! thank you for sharing - gave me a big smile!
what a sweet little guy!!!
warm fuzzy... :)
sweet boy!
I don't know how many people recall, but Sam has Down Syndrome. He's 16.
I marvel at him on a daily basis. I don't know if it's just that I had really low expectations going into this gig or what, but he exceeds all expectations and astounds me regularly. More than just his ability to express himself in writing (ok so he's not perfect - whatever); it's his...what word am I searching for...compassion, heart, kindness, spirit...that leaves me in awe. This kid who is supposedly "limited" has more humanity in him than most adults I know. The level of perception it took to know that I like to de-stress after work (I wish my husband knew that), his consideration and kindness for unloading the diswasher without being asked, these are just small examples of something bigger that I wish I had the right words to explain; it's just that he gets it. He is totally in tune to emotions in a way that I will never be. He treats people with such love, care, and grace. He looks out for people.
Hey - he's not perfect - he is a teenager (god help me) and he has his ass-ish moments like any of us - but he is just so...I am just struggling for the right words...unexpected. I guess you could say I never expected all this and sometimes I can hardly believe that I am the lucky woman who gets to be his mom.
The only bummer is I joined in the comments thread so late I don't think anyone will see this. I wish you gals could know him. He is just so cool.
Post a Comment