Laura 9/365


I am a total book junkie. Books were everything to me when I was
growing up. To this day I love nothing better than getting drawn into
a good story. So when Sam was diagnosed with Down Syndrome, I didn't
know if he'd ever have the ability to read and that made me a little
sad.

Shortly after he was diagnosed, when the doctors were telling me about
all of the various cognitive limitations Down Syndrome entails, I
remember thinking to myself : "as long as he can read, please God let
him read."

This is a picture of the book he's currently working on.

Fast forward 16 years and not only can he read, it turns out he's a
book junkie just like me. Of course there are limits, but I don't
care. My kid can read!

I love my son unconditionally, and I would love him the same whether
he could read or not, but deep down I truly wished for him to know the
joy of a good book, and I wanted to share that with him. Now I can.
Anything else in my life is just gravy after this.

This is all I wanted.

3 comments:

Jennifer September 10, 2009 at 2:08 PM  

((Hugs))

Anonymous September 10, 2009 at 2:49 PM  

Love to Sam and to you , Laura. Its great that you taught him to find a good friend in books.

mama_gretch September 10, 2009 at 11:05 PM  

The story brought a tear to my eye and a new perspective on expectations. Thanks for sharing with us!

Followers

About This Blog

Please e-mail Sarah at
submitenvisage@gmail.com

Our Stats

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP