
I'm sending my oldest daughter to prison next week. I'm sorry make that 6th grade public school. I read through the handbook of rules and regulations today, suffice it to say that Homeschooling is looking like more of necessity then ever before.
She deserves better, I need to give her better.
12 comments:
i can't even imagine what school rules and regulations will be in place by the time my kids are of age... ugh.
I find this shocking. It's been a while since my children were in public school. What are some of the rules that you find so disturbing? What justification do they claim to have these new rules? Do they purportedly protect the students?
Best of luck to her--it can be a tough transition for both kids and parents.
The big one for me today was the restriction of any books or materials the school administrators find false, slanderous or libelous. It's a school, don't restrict books and if you are going to restrict books that are false, start with the History texts they are using.
Another one, if you are in the hall 30 seconds after the bell rings you get "swept" (this is their term) into the auditorium to be lectured on the importance of being on time and before they allow you to go to class you have to call your mommy to let her know you were late. What?!? Really?!?
There is more and it just seems to me that my child is being treated as a potentially violent criminal before she has even stepped foot into the building. All the kids in fact. I guess I just don't think it's ok and I am ready to take action to get her out of there and into an environment that is actually conducive to learning and not prohibited to what the government finds acceptable.
Standardized testing...ACK!
We are giving her the first semester, if she wants out she gets out and will be homeschooled by Robert and I, probably closer to unschooled honestly.
I don't think it is a coincidence that most of the public school teachers I know have their spouses homeschooling their kids.
I'm a public school teacher....not all of them are bad.
If you have a good attitude about her school, she probably will too.
I hope she has a good experience. Middle school can be such fun (I teach 7th & 10th)
sucky about the school rules. :( she looks like a fighter though, won't break under the school rules. however, i want her awesome arm/wrist bands. much <3
because of our experience with our children's mother homeschooling and unschooling...just the words...strike fear in my heart and instant nausea and knots in my stomach. I realize you are much different than she....I hope something works out to all your satisfactions and she gets the best education possible.
Sandi,
I absolutely agree that not all teachers are bad, I consider them to be working under the same constraints as the students in a way. Last year the Spanish teacher taught one of her lessons standing on her desk (how fun) she was suspended for three days and told she couldn't do it again. This is disconcerting for me.
I also agree that my attitude could very well have an effect on her experience. Although I do think she has a right to hear our opinions on some of the rules they are imposing on the students, as well as the right to share hers.
My biggest reason to NOT want to pull her out is the fact that she is in Orchestra and that is something we would not be able to afford or teach on our own. I need to look at our States homeschooling rules (good god) and see if she would be able to attend Orchestra at the regular school. If she can, we will most likely definitely pull her second semester.
Chelle, she is absolutely a fighter and in a way I would like to see what she would do in the face of it all. I can't see her conforming and accepting.
She loves her wristbands, Hot Topic!
Heather, I totally understand, one of the reasons we are still hesitating about homeschooling is because of the other side of the families sure reaction to it. We are 100% certain that the school is unable to give her the best education possible and that we can.
sarah, i can totally imagine what is going on, last year, my seventh grade year was hell. all the teachers were so strict. & if you broke a rule they became well a total bitch about it. from talking in my english class (no matter how good my work was) i had low grades. i had like low 80's and it brought my average down ALOT.
& with the books, i know exactly where youre coming from. because im what you would can " mature for my age" i read adult books. one of my favorite authors in ellen hopkins. if you don;t know she writes very innaproptiate but truthful books about drug addictions, growing up through rough times, and so on and so on. i let a few (like 3)friends borrow a book, and that raised hell. word spread from parent to parent and i was in huge trouble, i was yelled at my that bitchy english teacher, her and the principle took my books for about a month. they read parts of them, and they were banned. i got 2 of the 3 i lent out back. it bothered me the rest of the year that i couldnt't vring ellen hopkins into school the rest of the year. so when a new book came out by her, i couldnt read it in school. so i was reading 3 books at one time, my assigned book, my book fo extra reading in school, and my ellen hopkins book, i was sooo angry. lucky me, im oging onto high school, where there not banned. but it still angers me hat just because other people can't handle drug content in books, i "can't" either.
also, in my school, we don't have uniforms, but we do have very strict clothing rules. you can not were any sweatpants/shorts that say anything on the butt. the teachers greatly frown upon shirts that say somehing across the breat area, & the big one, shorts must go past your figertips with your fingers at your sides. well in seventh grade, these rules are very much put in place, we were all used to wearing our short shorts on hott days but noooooo way is that getting past them. everyone was forced to change and some people were sent home. now my cross country friend was not allowed to wear shorts any shorter than bermuda's thia year because she was reallly long arms that go about an inch above her knee's. everyone think our rules are rediculus, but there only put in place in seventh grade, because there are no rules like these in the high school,
overall, if your daughter is getting yelled at for being reading/ wearing "bad things" like me i fought back, i am a huge arguer and i fought agaist my rules, without my mom's interference. i didn't fight the principle, but the bitchy english teacher, who was my homeroom teacher, which was even better, and plus harper & her did not exactly agree either. im sorry this is such a long comment but i just felt everything fit in to whats going on with you.
Thank you Emma and I am sorry you had to deal with all that bullshit. Especially the bullshit about the books. I will NEVER understand the banning of books. School sponsored banning of books especially. This is alarming to me.
Emma- i think it is a disgrace that they banned your books. I have read some of Ellen Hopkins books and I love them. I have two in my classroom and there is a waiting list for them.
I do not agree with banning. I will fight tooth and nail for a book. If a parent does not want to let their child read a book, fine. But they have no right to tell anyone else's kid they cant read it.
Post a Comment