Spent today going through these books trying to come up with a menu plan for the baby (who is actually a toddler). He nurses so much and I'm hoping that if I work on increasing his food intake he'll be a little less interested in mommy's milk.
May I recommend the Healthy Baby Meal Planner by Anabel Karmel?
I literally have tested it ( via photocopy ) and dozens and dozens of families - AND Emily too!
I love her approach to food and integrating a child into the family table. Emily had herbs and spices with her foods from the get go and at 11 is Finally developing a palate that she had as an infant! There was one point in which every child I cared for was off purchased Baby food and eating home made from this book. It is bit dated, I am guessing ( maybe came out in the early 90's) but I just LOVE this book.
It sounds like a great book! E never had baby food, well we tried and he never liked it (who can blame him) so we did baby led weaning. He just loves nursing and it's exhausting me. :) I will look for the book though, any help is ggod at this point lol
Yeah - Em went straight from nursing to a cup. No in between. She nursed for nearly 2 years and while I was sad ( a little) I was also relieved.
The best thing about Anabels book is the ice cube tray freezing method - so I would cook up her food every Sunday night and then have them all in labeled freezer bags for the week. Because I was cooking it, I would season it lightly - but still - with herbs, cinnamon, and even sweet curry. One of our goals was to get her accustomed to the way WE eat. I was lucky she had no major allergies, although I did keep her from cows milk and products until her allergy testing came back clean. She was a very pukey baby and would hawk back half her nursing if I had consumed too much dairy.
The other nice thing about her philosophy was that children who ate homemade were MUCH better with textures in food. I had some babies that if it wasn't 100% smooth, they would get gaggy. And forget the transition to finger foods. On the whole, the babies I both cared for and the One I birthed transitioned to finger foods really easily - but they had already become accustomed to texture and Taste via their food.
3 comments:
May I recommend the Healthy Baby Meal Planner by Anabel Karmel?
I literally have tested it ( via photocopy ) and dozens and dozens of families - AND Emily too!
I love her approach to food and integrating a child into the family table. Emily had herbs and spices with her foods from the get go and at 11 is Finally developing a palate that she had as an infant!
There was one point in which every child I cared for was off purchased Baby food and eating home made from this book. It is bit dated, I am guessing ( maybe came out in the early 90's) but I just LOVE this book.
It sounds like a great book! E never had baby food, well we tried and he never liked it (who can blame him) so we did baby led weaning. He just loves nursing and it's exhausting me. :) I will look for the book though, any help is ggod at this point lol
Yeah - Em went straight from nursing to a cup. No in between. She nursed for nearly 2 years and while I was sad ( a little) I was also relieved.
The best thing about Anabels book is the ice cube tray freezing method - so I would cook up her food every Sunday night and then have them all in labeled freezer bags for the week. Because I was cooking it, I would season it lightly - but still - with herbs, cinnamon, and even sweet curry. One of our goals was to get her accustomed to the way WE eat. I was lucky she had no major allergies, although I did keep her from cows milk and products until her allergy testing came back clean. She was a very pukey baby and would hawk back half her nursing if I had consumed too much dairy.
The other nice thing about her philosophy was that children who ate homemade were MUCH better with textures in food. I had some babies that if it wasn't 100% smooth, they would get gaggy. And forget the transition to finger foods. On the whole, the babies I both cared for and the One I birthed transitioned to finger foods really easily - but they had already become accustomed to texture and Taste via their food.
Post a Comment