Mary Jane 312/365

Tonight starts a tradition that my family has done as long as I can
remember. It's called campmeeting. It is a predominately Baptist and
Methodist church camp that has existed for about 180 years. My grandparents
attended, my parents did and now I do...or I should say I have since I was
born. It lasts for 10 days. As you can see, there are cabins and folks
spend the night for those 10 days. The cabins sit in a big circle with an
open air arbor (for the worship services) in the center of the circle. Each
day there are 3 worship services to attend. No there is no air
conditioning. It's very much like camping, but with church. My brother
still spends the night, but I don't. I'm too much of a baby. I need my
AC. I am sure you are thinking, "church, three times a day?" Just so you
know, some of us heathens don't go to every service. Obviously I don't, as
I am working during the day. But for the most part, probably 80% of the
folks take vacation and stay the entire time. 2006 was the last time I
spent the entire time and it was probably one of the best times too. It's
almost like you are in your own little community where you don't have the
big bad world breathing down your neck. Instead of watching the news on TV,
you sit and visit and talk with folks or have some homemade ice cream or a
water balloon fight or just nap in the swing on the front porch. It makes
us slow down and take a look at what life is really about and for that, I am
definitely thankful.

3 comments:
Hey, that sounds kinda cool...
I always like the idea of a retreat, with or without prayers services. It does so much good to slow down and drop out sometimes. Must be nice for couples too, to reconnect. AMEN! Bridget
Love you girls. :)
Post a Comment