Jamie 26/365
Today, in this office, I talked a woman out of suicide. I asked about her
life, learned about her pets and asked her why she wanted so badly to die. I
reminded her how much her cats needed her to feed and take care of them, how
much her cousin would grieve for her. I told her that her fears were normal
but make them her strengths instead.....take control of her feelings by by
believing that the reason she wanted to die was something that could be
beaten...with enough faith and courage.
It was a difficult conversation but by the time the mental health
professionals got here she was calm and feeling so much better.
I felt better as well.
The reason she wanted to die........she was just diagnosed with Cancer.
life, learned about her pets and asked her why she wanted so badly to die. I
reminded her how much her cats needed her to feed and take care of them, how
much her cousin would grieve for her. I told her that her fears were normal
but make them her strengths instead.....take control of her feelings by by
believing that the reason she wanted to die was something that could be
beaten...with enough faith and courage.
It was a difficult conversation but by the time the mental health
professionals got here she was calm and feeling so much better.
I felt better as well.
The reason she wanted to die........she was just diagnosed with Cancer.


7 comments:
omg, Jamie. What an itense story/experience. Neither one of you will ever forget that conversation. You must feel incredible.
You were where you were supposed to be today. :)
wow! glad she came to you!
It was intense....I work for a car dealership....no one comes to a place like that to kill themselves....and she came with all the tools needed (scary enough!)No one knew what to do and I slipped into the chair across from her quite easily....I was the only one who could understand the fear in her eyes I suppose. It took a while to talk her down and the police let me do it as long as she didnt get out of control. Im glad they let me talk to her......
I learned something....that cancer effects everyone in a different way and I am soooo thankful that I wasnt on the other side of that desk.
My brother in law killed himself this summer. Amazing how short sighted depression, bad news, and mental illness can make someone. Her family may never know it, but they are insanely fortunate she stumbled upon you.
I got goosebumps reading this.
She was lucky to have happened upon you - and you are the epitome of strength and grace under pressure....
Im sorry Marie....I hope I didnt bring something up that hurt you.
Post a Comment