Laura 126/365

I took Sam to the orthodontist today. Today is the day we start cranking on
the palate expander that they put in the roof of his mouth. We decided to
let him get used to the fact that it was in there for a couple of weeks
first, and now that the holidays are over the treatment is commencing. They
gave me a little tutorial on how to do it.
These are the two "keys" they gave me. I have to give the expander one turn
in the morning and one in the evening. Ugh. I feel awful about this, but I
know it is absolutely necessary.
I have so much mom guilt at the moment, that now would be the perfect time
for him to ask me for some new video games. He might just get them. Poor
guy. It looks like a medieval torture contraption is in the roof of his
mouth.

4 comments:
I had one of these it's not too bad
Tim's boy Jake had one of those. It's amazing how quickly you will see his teeth spread apart. It wasn't too bad at all. Sometimes Jake would say it would cause his nose to hurt for like a minute in his sinus area but sometimes he said it actually felt good to have the key turned.....
My son had one too, and I don't recall him complaining about it hurting. The turns are so little, it really won't be painful when you do it. It might take a day or two to get used to having it in his mouth, but kids are so resiliant! No more Mom guilt, now!
I had one, and it wasn't bad. Worst part was getting it in, and then figuring out how to talk. The actual turning and everything wasn't bad. It DOES look a little like a torture device, but he'll be fine. Give in and buy the video game, and then move on from the guilt! He'll be SO happy in the long run that he went through it (when he can chew things and all of that important stuff!)
Post a Comment